My First Half-Marathon!

Hi there! I know it’s been quite a few days since I’ve posted, but I’ve been super busy, and sometimes blogging just gets pushed to the side. However, I did want to stop in and give a small recap of my very first Half Marathon! I still can’t believe it! I never really got a lot of chances to take many pictures, but I do have a few!

This past Sunday, I ran the Rock ‘n’ Roll Dallas Half Marathon! I woke up at 5:30 on race morning ready to go, but still really nervous!



I had all of my gear packed and ready to go, doing my best to insure that I didn’t forget anything!

And I packed a pre-race breakfast of bagel w/ peanut butter, and a banana.


It was hard to eat that early in the morning, but I knew that I had to fuel my body right if I was going to accomplish the race ahead. My dad and I left the house and rode the DART train to the Dallas Convention Center, along with a friend from work, and her brother.

The weather was dreadful, being under 40 degrees and winds up to 21 MPH. It was not the ideal racing weather. The first wave start started promptly at 8 AM, and we were off. The course wound through downtown Dallas, and I really enjoyed all the scenery and sights downtown has to offer. My only complaint is that there were quite a bit of hills along the way. There were water stations and 2 miles or so, and Gatorade at every other station. There were also live bands at every mile, and I really enjoyed the Dolly Parton  impersonator. There was also a GU station at mile 9. At mile 6 I had a peanut butter GU, and then had a Vanilla Bean GU at the aid station. I was foolish, and those were the only times I took fuel. I probably could have used a little more. By Mile 10, I was ready to be done. At this point, I had mentally blocked out the music playing on my IPod, and no longer cared about my surroundings. I just wanted to make it to the finish line! At mile 12, I could see the entrance to Fair Park, and I knew if I could just make it there, it would be almost over!The last .1 mile of the race was the most inspiring part with so many spectators cheering you to the finish! As soon as  I passed my family and slowed long enough to smile for a picture, I sprinted to the finish line! I was done! I had set a goal 12 weeks ago, and accomplished it! Immediately after, I was handed my medal!



It is beautiful! I was also handed tons of food and drinks at the finish line that I culdn’t even carry. I was given water, Gatorade, chocolate milk, a sample Jamba Juice, a banana, and chips. I downed the chocolate milk, water, and banana, and tried the smoothie, but it was too icey.

After finding my family, and making the very long walk back to the car, I decided that Hard Rock Cafe would be perfect in fitting the theme of the race. I had the California Club no mayo with a side salad, and a small amount of fries. Still no picture, I dug face first into the food as soon as it was in front of me.The rest of the day was spent lying around, including a 4 hour nap. It was the greatest experience, and I’m already planning my next race! Any suggestions?

I’ll be back later with another post! I promise this time 😉

Off to work! Bye!


One thought on “My First Half-Marathon!

  1. Pingback: Conscious Box | Baking and Swimming

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s